The Lance is Hiring Student Journalists
The Lance is hiring two new journalists. It is an in-person and remote contract position for approximately 4-months.
The deadline to apply is January 30, 2023.
All applicants must apply by sending their resume, cover letter and a sample of their work (if applicable) with the subject line “Journalist Application – The Lance” to email@example.com.
Reporting to the News Director, The Lance Journalist is responsible for the composition of news stories that are objective, balanced, pertinent and without bias to students at the University of Windsor and the wider community. This includes covering on-campus events, elections, administration meetings, sporting events, etc.
- Responsible for submitting one story a week with multi-media components. The News Director must approve additional stories.
- Composition of multimedia content (photos, thumbnails, video, and/or audio) to accompany your written pieces.
- Responsible for editing all of your content before it goes live and ensuring it meets all content standards.
- Must attend weekly editorial meetings and propose original content ideas for stories.
- Emergency/Additional Stories may be requested.
- Responsible for arranging content for publishing to the Social Media team.
- Must be a University of Windsor student.
- Reliability, commitment, and professionalism are required.
- Experience with writing, preferably journalism content.
- Experience with editing and proofreading content.
- The ability to remain objective.
- Inquisitive by nature is an asset.
- Be able to meet tight deadlines.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Knowledge of WordPress content management.
- Videography & photography.
- Social media or content marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING:
This is not a University of Windsor position. The Lance is an independent entity operating within the University of Windsor community.
The Lance is committed to meeting its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require AN accommodation to participate in our recruitment process, please let us know in your application email, and your accommodation request will be handled confidentially. Accommodation may be provided in all steps of the recruitment process.
The Lance is firmly committed to being an equal opportunity employer and recruiting diverse staff and volunteers. We encourage applications from those that self-identify as members of traditionally underrepresented communities, including women, First Nations, Métis or Inuit persons, persons with disabilities, members of racialized communities, and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons.
For any questions, please contact the editor directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.