The Lance is Now Hiring Student Journalists
|Job Title||Journalist||Type||Paid Contract (approx. 8 months)|
|Department||News Team||Location||401 Sunset, Windsor, ON|
|Reports To||News Director||Remote?||In-person & remote|
|Compensation||$100 per story||Travel Required?||Travel within
|Date Posted||August 10, 2023||Apply By||August 25, 2023|
All applicants must apply by sending their resume, cover letter, and a sample of their journalism work (mandatory) with the subject line “Journalist Application – The Lance” by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting to the News Director, The Lance Journalist is responsible for the composition of news stories that are objective, balanced, pertinent, and without bias to students at the University of Windsor and the wider community. This includes covering on-campus events, elections, administration meetings, sporting events, etc.
- Responsible for submitting one story a week with multi-media components as agreed upon in the contract. The News Director must approve any additional stories.
- Composition of multimedia content (photos, thumbnails, video, and/or audio) to accompany your written pieces.
- Responsible for editing all of your content before it goes live and ensuring it meets all content standards.
- Must attend weekly editorial meetings and propose original content ideas for stories.
- Emergency/Additional Stories may be requested.
- Responsible for arranging the content for publishing to the Social Media team.
- Must be a University of Windsor student.
- Reliability, commitment, and professionalism are required.
- Must have experience writing journalism & news content.
- Experience with editing and proofreading content.
- The ability to remain objective.
- Inquisitive by nature is an asset.
- Be able to meet tight deadlines.
NICE TO HAVES
- Knowledge of WordPress content management system.
- Videography & photography experience.
- Social media or content marketing experience.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO).